Monday 30 May 2011

COPYCAT DESIGNS & DRESSES - A Culture of Copying

We live in a culture where everything is copied and copied again, and designer clothes and accessories are certainly no exception to this rule. This can be due to various factors: the high costs of getting designer items, not knowing who the original designers are of a certain garment, the location and accessibility of getting clothes that are especially based in India or Pakistan, and also the fact that there is a large market available for copied stuff.
Admittedly, I myself too have over the last few years ordered a few outfits from various places which were based on a design or magazine picture which I have liked and wanted a version of, and this has had both successful and unsuccessful results (which I will be posting in later posts!)
I would warn you to be wary of some designers who sell you a cheaper version, as sometimes the cost you paid for a copy will show. It is understandable that some people may not wish to or may not be able to afford to get the original designer items they want, so have to find a way around this or compromise, so I am not in any way trying to discourage or disparage anyone who chooses to do this. I am sure that you yourselves have seen a designer's item altered and copied and modelled on various people throughout the internet, be it a wedding dress with small alterations, to a whole suit which has been redesigned into something else. You will find home-based designers as well as professional shops and boutiques who make a business out of this, especially as fashion evolves continuously and tools such as the internet, magazines and televisions project this all the time. My own personal opinion would be to stay within your means; as much as you may fall in love with a certain item that you *must* have or need for a certain occasion, you would still manage to find something suitable to wear even if you didn't end up buying that new outfit. I am not saying that you should stop buying clothes or even be more frugal, we should all enjoy the luxury of beautiful things. My point is just to be careful not to become too caught up in the addiction of too many clothes, as you may find that you have more clothes to wear than occasions and places to wear them to!

I will be posting my Copycat Designs soon, please do tell me your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment